|Administrative History||Clarkson's Old Brewery in Barnsley was first founded in 1839. By the 1860's it was run by James Andrew and Samuel Clarkson (1851-1888), eventually coming under the sole proprietorship of Clarkson. After his death in 1888, his widow Ellen Clarkson (nee Parker) took over and was joined by Edward Issott, the Manchester brewer. The company was then formally registered in 1890 as Clarkson's Old Brewery Co. Ltd.|
The Clarkson public houses were to be found within a small radius of Barnsley; none being outside the old West Riding boundaries. The Elephant trademark was a commonplace and well-remembered item of advertisement on the company's public houses.
Clarkson's was eventually acquired by Tennant Brothers Ltd of Sheffield in 1956. The brewery, based in Wood Street in Barnsley, was closed, sold and demolished. The trade was then serviced from Sheffield. At the time of the acquisition by Tennant Brothers, the brewery controlled 71 public houses. Eventually Clarkson's and Tennant Brothers became part of Whitbread and Co. Ltd.