|Description||The Methodist New Connexion denomination began open air preaching in Kexborough in 1881; several months later services began in the club room of the White Bear Inn.|
The first Methodist New Connexion chapel opened in 1886 on a tiny slip of land between Bence Lane and Churchfield Lane, donated by Wentworth Beaumont, later first Lord Allendale. Substantial additions were made to the chapel in 1897.
The original chapel was replaced by a new chapel which was built on Churchfield Lane in 1938. An extension was added in 1982.
The original chapel was retained for some years as a Sunday School, but the site is currently (2019/2020) an open grass area.
The chapel on Churchfield Lane remains open as Kexborough Methodist Church.
The chapel was in the following circuits at the dates indicated:
Barnsley Methodist New Connexion Circuit 1886-1907
Barnsley Ebenezer United Methodist Circuit 1907-1934
Barnsley West Methodist Circuit 1934-1971
Barnsley Methodist Circuit 1971-
CATALOGUE SECTIONS FOR METHODIST CHAPEL RECORDS
1 REGISTERS AND MEMBERSHIP
2 SOCIETY, LEADERS AND CHURCH COUNCIL
3 TRUSTEES AND PROPERTY COMMITTEE
4 LEGAL DOCUMENTS
5 CHAPELS, SCHOOLROOMS AND OTHER BUILDINGS
6 SUNDAY SCHOOL
7 ORGANISATIONS AND EVENTS
8 PUBLICATIONS AND MISCELLANEOUS